Friday, March 13, 2009

Champions

I spent a good deal of time last evening reading A Piece of the Purest Challenge, one of the blogs that I tend to check in on every day, about the latest one of the Irish Red Setters to be inducted into the HOF..
It made me think of other dogs in one of the various Halls, dogs that almost made it, and dogs that were never even on the radar screen, for any number of reasons.
I'm struck by the deep felt emotion, to a man (or woman), that their owners and handlers have felt for these dogs.. Emotions often so keenly felt, that even years after the subjects passing, can evoke a teary response. And that's exceedingly good to see!
I've never owned a HOFamer, or even a prospective one, and I doubt I ever will, but I have felt no less proud or emotional in thinking back on any of the dogs that have passed through these portals..in both directions.. The great ones, the not so great ones, and even the ones that never panned out to be even close to what their pedigree promised. They all found a home here, spent an all too short lifetime and all took a little piece of my heart when they left. They all receive the opportunity to succeed.. some have grabbed for that brass ring, and some haven't.
Thay all have been, and always be, Champions in my memories, and in my heart...

Something drives us to press on in our search of that perfect dog, in spite of the odds, in spite of the hurt upon their passing.. It is said that "Hope Springs Eternal", and that truism is never more keenly felt than in the heart of a bird dog lover...

So, go watch the video clips of the Award Ceremony, and witness the lasting bond that can form between a very special dog and an equally special man..
We're all there...

And, enjoy the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment