Friday, August 8, 2008

The sound of an Adirondack Rattler...

I find myself, like a lot of people, both fascinated and intimidated by poisonous snakes. While I've given up my fear and loathing of snakes, for the most part, I would still give a New York State Timber Rattler a wide berth!
While my part of the Adirondacks harbors no rattlers, in the Tongue Mountain area near Crown Point and Lake George, there is a thriving population. Timber Rattlers are considered non-aggressive, but one false step while noy paying close attention on the trail can lead to an unfortunate situation, both for the human and the snake. And, I'm sure that I don't need to add that a Timber Rattler is a pit viper that can turn a pleasant afternoon into a fight for survival rather quickly...
I also listen to NPR alot. I don't like their politics, or their liberal slant on many subjects, but many of the programs are highly enjoyable...

So here is the sound of an Adirondack Timber Rattler, and a little information on the species from the folks at NPR...

Enjoy! And when your in the woods and here this sound... FREEZE!

No comments:

Post a Comment