Monday, September 15, 2008

Moose on the loose


This picture was taken Wednesday, May 28, 1999 at 8:45 a.m. in the Birch Hills development off Rt. 30 in Sabael, Town of Indian Lake. The moose appeared wet, as though it had just swam across Indian Lake. It was first spotted walking up from the lake as it crossed Route 30. It was last seen walking toward "downtown" Indian Lake. The awesome beast inspired a healthy respect. "My hands were shaking when I took the picture" Dr. Daniel Way reported.
(reprinted courtesy of the Hamilton County News and Dr. Daniel Way).

__________________________________________________________________



Moose are making a big comeback in the New York's North Country. I saw one running in a drainage ditch a few years back out on Fagan's Flats, on Route 28 between Indian Lake and Wevertown. A number of vehicles stopped to watch him, as he crossed the road and ran up into the forest. My estimation would be that this bull stood between six and seven feet at the shoulder.. truly a magnificent animal.
The following report from The New York Times, also provides a good account of the comeback..

I sincerely doubt that I'll live long enouigh to see a season on Moose, and at this point in my life, I'm not sure that I'd take one if I could. But, it's encouraging to see their numbers increasing, and it certainly is a thrill to witness their return to the wilds of the Adirondacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment