Tuesday, September 30, 2008

More from Norm...

Sorby that is. The man who taught many folks how to operate a Field Gordon Setter.

In Norm's words...

For those that are looking for a hunting companion, the Gordon is the finest possible upland game bird dog. They have tremendous stamina and endurance. Gordons will continue to hunt all day.

and...

The Gordon will not work for, or respond to, anyone he does not know. This particular breed characteristic originally contributed to the decline of the Gordon as a popular hunting dog. A Gordon cannot be lent to a stranger, so they are not kept by large hunting preserve kennels to rent out by the day. Also contributing to their decline is their need for human companionship, which precludes their use as a so-called "kennel" dog.

I know the latter to be true beyond doubt...

I had a friend that I hunted with for many years. When he moved to the Carolinas many years back, I became a solitary hunter, fullfilling what is truly in my soul... One man, one dog, one gun...

But, I digress. My Gordon at the time never once went to my hunting partner for a pat, or even acknowledged his presence with us in the field. He was all business. He'd allow this gentleman to kill birds over his points, but nothing more, and he knew this man since he was a small puppy.
With me, of course, it was different... We were soulmates, and the world was just between us...

No comments:

Post a Comment