Monday, July 7, 2008

The Mighty 3/4 ounce 20 gauge Load!!

I've been shooting the 3/4 ounce load in my 20 gauge Ithaca/SKB 280 since I started shotgunning again in March. It is not a high-velocity load, but it crushes properly pointed Skeet targets with authority, and is an absolute pleasure to shoot. This is a load that is a killer on only one end of the gun... and it's the end that counts. And, with a shoulder that is still a little loose, that's a blessing...
The load takes a little longer to reload, because of the foam spacer I need to insert into the bottom of each shotcup of the Pattern Control (PC) yellow wad. I punch out the foam with a 9/16 arch punch, and I'm experimenting with 28 gauge Circle-Fly or BP overshot cards in the bottom of the shotcup above the foam, or as an overshot card beneath the crimp.
I've just about got this load perfected as far as reloading goes. I use Alliant Unique as a propellant and a WW 209 Primer. This was a published load from Hercules (pre-Alliant), but no longer appears in Alliant data...
For those that would like the specs of the load I use, send me an e-mail and I'll send the particulars out..

This load works so well, I'll never go back to 7/8 ounce for clay targets...

No comments:

Post a Comment