Friday, July 25, 2008

The Musings of a Part-Time Adirondacker


My wife and I, and of course the dogs, got away for a week and a half to our Adirondack camp. It's great to get away with the dogs, and we all never fail to have a great time. There is always much work to be done, but, the dogs get time to run the Forest Preserve, and there is also alot of down time.
One of my favorite ways to pass the time is to sit on the porch, watch a couple of cars a day pass down the unimproved road out front, and sit and watch the hummingbirds at the feeder hanging from an exposed roof rafter mere feet from where I sit.
It struck me as I watched just how much the pretty little birds are like humans. There is more than enough nectar for everyone. There are four feeding stations on each feeder, and yet the hummers squabble like school children. Two birds at the same feeder at the same time is a rarity, without one trying to chase another off.. They spend much more energy chasing and fussing than feeding.
Since there is so little stimulation at the camp; No TV... just NPR and a good book... one's mind starts to ponder nature's ways.
I thought to myself how much better a world it would be if humans and hummingbiords could just take what they need and no more... and just learn to get along...

It's tough to leave camp and touch down at reality again..... but.. someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment