Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dichotomy

The defenition of the word "dichotomy," from Merriam-Webster...

Pronunciation: \dī-ˈkä-tə-mē also də-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural di·chot·o·mies
Etymology: Greek dichotomia, from dichotomos
Date: 1610
1: a division into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities ; also : the process or practice of making such a division
2: the phase of the moon or an inferior planet in which half its disk appears illuminated
3 a: bifurcation ; especially : repeated bifurcation (as of a plant's stem) b: a system of branching in which the main axis forks repeatedly into two branches c: branching of an ancestral line into two equal diverging branches
4: something with seemingly contradictory qualities






A little on myself..

I don't know if I consider myself a "true" hunter, or what I perceive that most in society would consider a true hunter...
I won't shoot birds on the ground or limb shoot them... I wouldn't kill a deer through the kitchen window... I don't kill animals that don't "need" killing.. I wonder if that puts me at odds with alot of folks... from both camps..
Same with workin' dogs. I'm familiar with methods from the past, and try my best to keep up to speed on current trends and thinking.. I've found my own methods that work for me... maybe a strange amalgam of both sides. I want a dog that uses it's own mind to hunt, not mine! I want a dog that's broken naturally.. a dog that has learned for itself what works and what doesn't. Not a dog that has been taken off to the side and just been told it's Mama died, upon an infraction.
In short, I want a dog that wants to work for me... Not one that feel's that it has to.

So, as I usually find in life, I'm a bit of an oddball... Walk to the beat of a different drummer.. Or, as the great Winston Churchill would say in trying to describe Mother Russia to the people of his time,

I am a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.....

No comments:

Post a Comment