Friday, April 11, 2008

Are there dogs in heaven?

For those who love dogs, it would be the worst form of a lie to call any place where dogs were banned "Paradise." Certainly no loving God would separate people from their canine friends for eternity.

Stanley Coren, dog psychologist


The question of whether our dogs go to heaven when they pass on has often puzzled me. I'm not a highly religious person as far as attending Sunday services, but, I do believe in a Supreme Being, and common sense would tell me that our beloved dogs will go where we do for eternity.
Some religions apparently do not accept whe I call common sense, and do not allow for dogs to exist in the afterlife with their former Masters..
I've been gifted with a couple of great Field dogs. Some not so great, but they all touched my heart in a beautiful way, and I miss them all terribly.
But, you get that "one dog". Many of us are lucky to get one. Not to lessen my love for the others that have passed through my life since, but, my Duncan and I were that rare team that comes along once in a lifetime.
When he left me years ago, he left a big hole in my heart that I thought would never completely heal.
They say that time heals all wounds, but that's not completely true. I've been lucky enough to get another dog that has touched me deeply, and I'll expound more upon her in a future post.

But, for now, suffice to say that if dogs are not allowed in heaven... just send me where they are welcome...
I look forward to roaming the woods behind them for all eternity...

No comments:

Post a Comment