Friday, April 4, 2008

Quotable quotes...

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.”

Boy can I ever relate to this quote by Samuel Butler, the English novelist and essayist. This is probably one of the main reasons I carry an affinity for dogs. I cannot count the times I've done something foolish, or made a complete ass of myself, and my canine companion just looks at me with dark, soulful eyes... You see, it really doesn't matter, as we're subject to the same foibles and frailities.
Years ago, I once took a bad stumble in a woodchuck hole. The gun and I went down hard! It took some time to regain my composure and try to right myself, but, my Gordon, Duncan, was right there licking my face in encouragement.. He didn't help me up, but he got his licks in while he could!

I love quotes concerning dogs, and I have many of them stashed away in a small book. Some are well known, some fairly obscure, but, those who frequent this little blog will read many of them in the future.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty neat, Bill. How many have you collected? Maybe you should think about publishing an anthology. Seriously. Don't know about the legalities but I would think that if you credited the authors, it could be done. Maybe include some poetry, folklore (or would that be doglore?), even some (tasteful) jokes, etc. Would make a nice little volume. I'll buy the first one if you autograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the compliment, but, I couldn't publish anything! They're other peoples thoughts and talents anyway.. I just collect the ones I like and write them down in my "little black book". Many of them are by people other than authors whom many people would have never heard of. I'm a quote lover anyway, but, thoughts that celebrate the bonds between man and dog are special to me..
    And, I'd like to thank you for contributing your thoughts here!!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete