Saturday, April 19, 2008

My Old Friend Dallas



Pictured here is Dallas. A little Tennessee Walker that was at the barn for quite a few years. He was bought by a FT aquaintance who kept him as a tool, paid for his "room and board", and took him to FT's from time to time. I used to clean his stall, brush him, give him carrots and apples, and just generally spend time with him. Over the years, we bacame quite close, and I knew he used to look forward to seeing me.
The owner bought him from a fairly prominent handler who used to twist his ears to get the horse to comply. I can't understand why that was necessary, but, there it is. It took us a loooong time to get this horse to the point where he trusted, and enjoyed the company of people. Eventually, I could even rub his ears, and he came to enjoy it.
But, as always, all good things must come to an end. The owner's divorce sounded the closing bell for our time together. Sadly, the horse was sent back to the original owner who used ear twisting as a form of control. As if this horse needed it! The initial idea was to sell the horse, but, from what I understand, that has not happened, and he remains with the handler who mistreats him unnecessarily..
My only hope is that he'll eventually end up with someone who will treat him the way he deserves to be treated...
Good Luck, Dallas...

No comments:

Post a Comment